Wednesday 18 May 2011

Something new

Tonight is our first Book Club meeting. Love that we all love the idea, but have very little idea how it works! Thank goodness for the local library....it seems that they put keen souls like us on the right track and lend out books in bulk. (If you are already in a book club, please do not scoff....this is new and exciting to me). I started the book last night and finished it this afternoon. "Juliet, Naked" by Nick Hornby. Please see this review from the Guardian as it does a lot better than I could. I have an odd relationship with Nick Hornby. Very readable, but not disturbing enough. Disturbing in the sense that the twists and outcomes are not so unpredictable. I think the best thing about this book was that without reading the blurb, I launched into it and was suprised that it the title was not about a woman per se....but the aftermath of time spent with one and how that aftermath, (the album in its stripped down version) impacted the protagnists. The title alone threatened 'romantic something'.

No comments: