Monday 29 August 2011

Back from the Borders

We got as far as Keilder in our travels this weekend. Border country, home of the Reivers, a lawless lot of cattle rustlers, raiders and thieves. Both Big J and I descend from these people! What can I say?

I did a bit of raiding in the local charity shops and came away with a pretty good haul, some clothes and some things for the house. We now have a very TIDY telephone area. It's looking good.

We also visited Bellingham where we stayed with friends and visited the show. No witch, alas, and in fact, the livestock consisted of four chickens, two ducks, three doves and two ferrets! Not a pig, cow or sheep to be seen. Many, many border terriers though, and it was a good day out for dogs and all.
I felt very Kirsty Allsop in my purple Hunters, green coat (it was cold) and with my shopping basket.
We had two nights with Big J's mum - who is amazing considering her recent loss, and enjoyed a few walks along the beach at Whitley Bay. Very blustery, but it is a lovely area.

GREATLY inspired by the beautiful home we stayed in in Bellingham, Big J and I had "a talk" and now it is time to get out the paint swatches and fabric samples to redecorate our room and the best bit.... get rid of the nasty, nasty carpet, which was WHITE and is now GREYISH, and covered in odd marks. (We inherited the carpet, just for the record, although we might have added one or two little marks to it...).

This is a big challenge for moi, as I lack that ability that some folk have to turn a cave like space with books spilling over the floor, shoes - yes I do have a lot of shoes - and the blue basket with all the socks that do not have homes, into a "restful retreat for me and my man"... watch this space.

And finally, I crocheted on the train up to Newcastle, and in the car and those little squares are all nearly done.





No comments: